Sunday, January 7, 2007

Capture The Flag - Sept 29, King/Bay District


This is a great public networking event, brought to you by the great people at www.newmindspace.com. Basically, it is what the name says, a giant game of capture the flag, with hundreds of people, and covering huge amounts of downtown public space. It turns the downtown business buildings into a playground.

This was my second time participating in Capture the Flag, and this one was just as good as the first. Last time I learned the hard way that it is way easier to guard a flag then try to find it. When trying to capture the flag, you have to run away from every person you see, and if you get tagged, you have to walk all the way back to your zone, and since it covers the whole downtown core, you are walking a long long way. So I decided to guard the flag, which I found out, was alot more entertaining and fun than capturing. It was fun hiding beside garbage cans, and jumping out to tag unsuspecting people.

However, a word of caution. On my first capture the flag experience, I found that when I was chasing people away from the flag, they did anything to not get tagged. This includes running onto Bloor street without looking. I was a witness to an accident where someone was running away from a tagger, ran onto the street, and was hit by a car. Thankfully, he was not seriously hurt, but he did break his arm. Moral of the story, although reclaiming the streets of Toronto is fun and exciting, it is still dangerous.

Nevertheless, this is a great event and I suggest everyone to try it just once. When else do you get a chance to run around the streets of Toronto with hundreds of people? Its a great way to meet friends and have fun.

No comments: